Monday, February 15, 2010

Ruthie's Story

It is the third week of February and this is my 2nd post of the month. If you read my post, my funk, then you know I should be on my 3rd post at this point. It's okay though. I'm not going to live under law and condemn myself for being behind. Although satan would love it if I did. Which only gives me more of a reason not to! No, I'm living under grace so I know that it's okay that I'm only on my 2nd post. And I can tell you that it's only by the grace of God that I have time (and energy!) right now to sit down and write this one! And not because I am holding myself to it, but because they are basically already written in my head, I will probably be posting twice this week anyway. Sigh of relief for all of you list makers. :)

Last week was a busy week. Tuesday we had to take our youngest daughter to the ER for what turned out to be a migraine. That was traumatic. Wednesday we had church and so, on Thursday afternoon, I was thinking we were going to have a calm, peaceful night. And we did. More peaceful than I thought it could be! I was on the computer, checking facebook or my email no doubt, and my five year old daughter, Ruthie, said from the floor where she was playing, "Mommy, I don't know if I'm saved" Well, of course this got my attention quickly. "what do you mean?" I asked her. "Well," she said, in her precious, little five year old voice, "last year, when I told you I wanted to get saved and you wouldn't let me, I prayed anyway. So I don't know if I'm saved." The "year ago" that she is referring to, was actually about six months ago and she was asking alot of questions, but didn't seem ready. So I told her I didn't think she was ready but that we would keep praying about it. Well, apparently, she didn't take my word for it and prayed anyway. I love that kind of faith! Especially in my daughter.
Well, right in that moment I felt fear, and I, for a moment, (or five!), I gave in to it. I don't want to tell you this part, but I will. I'm making myself. Okay, here goes. Prepare to laugh at me as I prepare to be humiliated.
I said to Ruthie, "Mommy has to go to the potty. I will be right back and we will finish this conversation. So I went to the back of the house, and hiding from a five year old, I called a much wiser than I friend and said, "Ruthie's asking questions about being saved...tell me what to do!" Well, I obviously knew what to do, but I did want to make sure that I asked the right questions that really got to the heart of what was going on and would really reveal to me if she was ready. The friend gave me advice and Ruthie and I laid on her bed for the next twenty minutes or so and had a conversation that I will never forget. At the end of the conversation She prayed and asked Jesus to forgive her sins and to live in her heart! PEACE.
That night after prayer time, I heard her whisper, "Jesus is my savior."
Sunday night she wanted to go tell the preacher that she got saved. She didn't go to the front of the church, I guess she wasn't ready for that quite yet. Which is so fine. But she did go up to him afterwards and I heard him ask her where she was when she got saved and then, "Who talked to you about it?" to which she replied, "God." I LOVE IT. LOVE IT. I am, and will always be eternally thankful to my savior for drawing my little girls heart to his own. And I know he has great plans for her. I Know that for as long as I live I am going to love watching his love and his grace work in her heart and through her life.

2 comments:

  1. We're so happy about this joyous news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yayyayyayyay!!! i love it! so happy with you sarah!! watching our children trust what we doubt so often is so peaceful and encouraging!!!

    ReplyDelete